When homeowners take on a home remodeling or renovation project, they have several options to consider regarding how to approach the project when considering obtaining design concept drawings, permit-ready plans, and use of these plans for use completing their project.
Although a homeowner could feasibly use inspiration photos and idea books and hire a general contractor to provide a scope of work and carry out the work directly, the best route for tackling any home renovation project is to hire a reputable design/build firm and here is why:
- Free in home consultation where project scope and budget are established
- Assuming budget for the project is reasonable, the design process can begin and concepts can be completed in less than two weeks.
- Design fees are usually around 6% of the projected construction cost which is typically ½ of the fees associated with Architectural firms.
- The project estimate is presented at each iteration of the design process so the owner always knows what he is buying and the associated costs.
- The entire design to construction agreement process can be done in 3 to 6 weeks depending on the size and complexity of the project.
- Good design-build firms can match the design to their client’s aesthetic and functional needs while guiding the client and avoiding design and budget mishaps.
- The design team works closely with the crews on site to ensure proper construction and implementation of the design.
- Design team assists each homeowner with all materials and fixtures selections which saves the homeowner money because fewer specifications need to be added to the drawings. Meetings at various vendor showrooms can be arranged at the homeowner’s convenience.
Over the past 25 years, we have found that the design-build process is the most efficient, expedient, and cost-effective solution to any home renovation project.